Wednesday, February 16, 2011


So I'm not spending the last few months of my pregnancy the way I had expected or would like but I'm very grateful that at the end of it all I will have a healthy baby boy. Ready for the story?

So, for a week or two I was having really bad back pain. It really got so bad and sometimes moved to my bum (thank you sciatic pain). I was miserable and cried during my doctor appointment about it. He sent me to the physical therapist. The pain also traveled down into my thigh (little did I know that it was because of something much more serious). I got pain pills. All that jazz. I had noticed for a few days that my left thigh looked tinted a little purple while I was up but it wasn't bad and I had no idea. Then on the night of Jan. 27th I asked Jason if he noticed a difference in my legs and he said the left one looked puffy and redish purple. So the next morning as soon as I woke up I called my OB office and said I thought I had a blood clot. They sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound right away. By the time we left for the hospital my leg was very swollen, very purple, and very painful.

We went to the hospital and got the ultrasound. They had to do both legs so she started with the right leg first. She did that one for awhile and I asked her if she saw any there and she said no but she had just started. So then she did the other one (which I was positive there was one). She got done and I asked if she found one and she said, "I can't talk about it until I talk to the Radiologist. Get dressed, stay in this room and do not walk around any more than you have to." Oh crud. Yep, I have a large clot from my groin to my knee. Lovely.

So I spent the next 5 days in the hospital (missing my baby shower which was the next day - however we did have it here at the house this past weekend so that was nice and thanks to all who came.) I have now been home for 2 weeks and am on bedrest the rest of the pregnancy. I have to give myself blood thinner shots in the stomach twice a day to keep more clots from forming while I wait for this lovely one in my leg to disolve. It is some better. It still gets a bit swollen and purple when I am up to use the bathroom or take my quick shower but not nearly as bad and the pain is slight most of the time as long as I stay down. Bedrest totally stinks but I am so grateful for everyone who has been helping me.

My mom is here now with my brother Aaron who just returned from his mission. We discovered that their laptop picks up someone's internet if you are in the kitchen so I am reclining in the recliner in my kitchen with the laptop on my lap and it is so nice to be on the internet doing something normal again. :) I'm not sure how long it will take the blood clot to disolve. I am really hoping I'll be able to be back up and taking care of my guy after he is born. He is doing well. I have to have 2 ultrasounds a week and a doctor's appointment every week. He is doing well. A week ago they did measurements at his ultrasound and he was weighing about 4 lb 8 oz. I'm so excited for him to come (when he is ready).

So really I am doing alright. Just doing a LOT of laying around with my leg propped up on pillows. It's boring, uncomfortable, and disappointing but I'm doing it for a really good reason. Yay baby! Now if only we could get him a name. :)


Tiffany said...

Jeanette! I am so sorry to hear about your health issues. It's a good thing you caught that when you did and are able to hopefully get it taken care of. Too bad I'm not there to help out!

Stay well and keep us updated!!

timpani76 said...

I am so sorry you have to go through this! It sounds like you have a good attitude, and I know that will help you ;)

Jennifer said...

Amy's been keeping me updated--I'd been wondering about you! Sorry about the bedrest, and I'm sure time just seems to be standing still right now. Take care!